If you've been following along on Instagram stories you know we have been in the midst of a master bedroom renovation. To be perfectly honest, it wasn't even intentional. Over spring break I told my husband I wanted the popcorn scraped off the ceiling, and the ceiling repainted. We moved nearly all of our furniture into our son's room, and have been camping out with him ever since.
It just so happened that we started all of this when so many of my favorite bloggers were in the middle of the One Room Challenge, so we jumped in. We're not officially a part of the challenge (Meaning we're not sponsored), but you should check it out. Some of my favorites this year are Chris loves Julia, House of Brinson, and Old Home Love. Go check them out!
When we started this project our room looked a bit like this...
It wasn't terrible- although I had to seriously reel in a Homegoods shopping habit because we "needed it for the new house". Mostly, I over-decorated and used what we had available. I'd get sucked in to trends too easily rather than listening to my gut. I'd buy things to fill spaces even if I wasn't 100% in love with them. You live and learn.
My husband decided while I was at work that he was going to remove the second entrance to our bedroom that we hid behind our dresser for the past 3 years. I came home from work to find he had the frame torn out and we had a gaping hole from our bedroom into our living room... No turning back from there.
He framed in the hole and floated the drywall. We're definitely not experts when it comes to drywall (that really is an art), but our home is nearly 100 years old. There is nothing perfect in our home, and frankly, anything perfect would stick out like a sore thumb. So between the two of us we got it patched, and it will blend perfectly.
Patching the baseboards proved to be the most difficult thing. Our baseboards are in three pieces- a true 1x5, quarter-round, and the decorative top piece. I thought I would be able to find a match fairly easily (The profile for the decorative piece didn't seem that complex). Long story short- nobody had it. I found a local place (White River Hardwoods if you're local) that specializes in beautiful millwork, and they told me the could make an exact plate for $200 and mill one wall worth of baseboards, or I could use a couple pieces that were close for $40. We went close in lieu of exact.
I cut and installed the trim, and painted the first coat. I still need to caulk all the seams, and nail holes (raise your hands if you HATE caulking as much as I do), sand and paint the final coats. I'm painting the trim a bit sloppier than I normally would, because we are repainting the walls. Don't ask me what color yet the walls will be yet, because I have no idea... I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants. The trim is Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore all throughout our home.
This week our ceiling medallion came in. We ordered it from Lowes, and I'm really loving it. After three years of staring at popcorn, I decided our ceiling needed some TLC.
Next week we'll be installing a border of molding on the ceiling kind of like this, but minus the appliques, as well as crown molding.
We'll also be getting a skimcoat on the ceiling to clean things up a bit, finish painting the trim, and (hopefully) pick a wall color and have the room all painted... We'll see.
Until next week!